Our mission is to prevent disease and injury, promote wellness, and protect the personal, community, and environmental health of all people in Fillmore, Gage, Jefferson, Saline, and Thayer counties in southeast Nebraska.
Through partnership building, community involvement and collaboration our aim is to bring our five county health district together to achieve good health.
The following are our Core Functions and
Core Function 1 - Assessment
Assessment involves the collection, analysis, and sharing of information to identify health conditions, risks, and resources in a community. The assessment function is needed to identify trends in illness, injury, death, and the factors that may cause these events.
• Monitor health status to identify community health problems.
• Diagnose and investigate health problems and health hazards in the community.
• Inform, educate, and empower people about health issues.
Core Function 2 - Policy Development
Policy Development focuses on building coalitions that can develop local and state policies based on the high priority health care needs.
• Mobilize community partnerships to identify and solve health problems.
• Develop policies and rules that support individual and community health efforts.
Core Function 3 - Assurance
Assurance makes local and state health agencies responsible for assuring that programs and services are available to meet the high priority needs of the population. These programs and services can be provided directly or by encouraging other public or private agencies to provide them.
• Enforce laws and regulations that protect health and the environment, and ensure safety.
• Link people to needed medical and mental health services and assure the provision of health care when otherwise unavailable.
• Assure a competent public health and personal health care workforce.
• Evaluate effectiveness, accessibility, and quality of personal and population-based health services.
• Research for new insights and innovative solutions to health problems.
Still need a little more information about what a
local health department does for you?