What is Public Health?
As the American Public Health Association defines Public Health, it is the promotion and protection of the health of people and the communities where they live, learn, work and play.
By definition, public health is the science of protecting and improving the health of families and communities through promotion of healthy lifestyles, research for disease and injury prevention, the detection and control of infectious disease and monitoring of environmental hazards.
The Ten Essential Public Health Services
- Monitor health status to identify community health problems.
- Diagnose and investigate health problems and health hazards in the community.
- Inform, educate, and empower people about health issues.
- Mobilize community partnerships to identify and solve health problems.
- Develop policies and rules that support individual and community health efforts.
- Enforce laws, rules and regulations that protect public health and the environment and ensure safety.
- Link people to needed medical and mental health services and assure the provisions of health care when not otherwise available.
- Assure a competent workforce within the health care industry and public health departments.
- Evaluate effectiveness, accessibility, and quality of services within the health care industry and public health departments.
- Research to gain new insights and innovative solutions to health problems.
Public Health Solutions District Map
Two Convenient Office Locations
Office Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00am-4:30pm
P: (402)826-3880 or 1-844-830-0813
995 East Highway 33, Suite 1
Crete, NE 68333
516 Court Street
Beatrice, NE 68310