PHS Mosquito Counts
Every year, Public Health Solutions maintains surveillance of mosquito activity in our five-county area. This includes testing mosquitoes for West Nile Virus (WNV) and any associated infections reported at our local hospitals. The most recent report includes the following.
- To date (8/22/2018), there has been 47 positive arbovirus positive mosquito pools detected in 15 different counties. All 47 positive pools have been WNV, no Saint Louis Encephalitis (SLE) or Western Equine Encephalitis (WEE) has been detected to date in mosquito pools.
- No positive mosquitoes in PHS district
- 36 WNV cases in humans statewide
- Age range 11 – 71+ years
- WNV Neuroinvasive Disease 20
- WNV Non-Neuroinvasive Disease 16
- Hospitalized 16
- Death 2
Gage County Culex mosquito Count: 88
Gage County Total Mosquito Count: 211
Gage County has 2 traps
Jefferson County Culex mosquito Count: 445
Jefferson County Total Count: 583
Jefferson County has 4 traps
Gage County mosquito counts
- 73 total captured
- 42 (58%) were Culex mosquitoes (the mosquito that carries WNV)
Click here to learn more about West Nile Virus and how to protect yourself and your family.